Senior/Principal Investment Officer, Africa50 - Applications Open
- Position: Senior/Principal Investment Officer, Africa50 - Applications Open
- Location: Casablanca, Morocco
The Senior/Principal Investment Officer role is to provide leadership, management and technical support to ensure the effective development and increased number of bankable projects for Africa50 PD.
- Work across all the infrastructure sectors
- Develop a strong pipeline of investment opportunities through anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge
- Execute A50’s equity investments into financially closed projects as well platforms and growth opportunities, with a strong focus on achieving high IRRs
- Have a good understanding and the ability to structure investments across the financing spectrum with deep knowledge of infrastructure equity investing
- Candidate should also have had exposure and complete comfort with project finance debt from the point of view of equity
- Lead negotiation for investment documents (SHA, SPA, and project debt and other agreements)
- Have a thorough understanding of infrastructure sectors, including power, transport, midstream, ICT etc including markets, major operators and technologies
- Have a good understanding of project and concession financing, policy issues, license conditions, tariff regimes and privatizations
- Build and maintain strong relationships with local/regional/global infrastructure companies, banking and multilateral partners, suppliers and government officials to further develop the sector, to build consensus around project proposals
- Lead and manage project teams, mentor and develop junior staff.
- Supervise development and check complex financial models
- Initiate and lead due diligence process and commercial, strategic, operational, financial and legal due diligence
- Develop clear high conviction investment hypotheses
- Manage transaction documentation negotiation
- Assess social and ecological benefit/impact of investments
- Drive transaction execution and deal structuring for investments
- Supervise preparation of deal presentations and investment memos including management structures, competitive landscape, and growth strategies within the value creation plan and other plans to meet investment opportunity goals
- Manage Portfolio management activities
- Assist in evaluating strategic options and exit scenarios
- Supervise presentations for strategy and collateral etc.
- Help develop institutional processes
- Focused and rigorous + years investment banking analyst experience at top I-Bank, Private Equity firm or DFI
- Looking for demonstrated academic excellence. Undergraduate degree from Ivy or similar top school
- MBA Finance from similar top school. Also open to MSc Finance
- Strong relationship to Africa - whether it be origin or a demonstrated long-term interest/commitment.
- Existing relationships in Africa are a plus
- Positive attitude
- Indefatigable work ethic – this role will regularly require late nights/weekends/travel
- Ability to monitor juniors’ work for defect free output. Candidate will take full responsibility for the juniors’ work
- Self-starter. High initiative
- High sense of urgency
- Clarity of thought and action
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Interest in Africa50’s mission, strategy and values
- Strong connection to Africa and intent to have Africa focused career
- Significant relevant work experience: At least  years of experience of infrastructure equity investing experience
- Knowledge of overall infrastructure sector trends; experience in emerging markets especially Africa is a plus
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively and identify potential business partners
- Superb organizational and deal management capabilities. Ability to multitask is critical
- Ability to negotiate with multiple counterparties in a forceful yet polite manner
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential sponsors, developers and partners, as well as senior government officials
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with sponsors, partners and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds; living experience in emerging countries is a plus
- Strong experience of successfully mentoring and developing junior investment staff.
- Culturally sensitive and able to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
- Deep understanding of how investments are structured
- Strong understanding of project and concession finance
- Sound knowledge of legal, policy, tax and regulatory matters
- Fluent English (French is a plus)
- Technical understanding of the power, transport and utilities sectors.