Chief Operating Officer
- Position: Chief Operating Officer
- Location: Casablanca
- Contact: Astrid.Ausserhofer@russellreynolds.com
Africa50 is seeking a Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) who will partner with the CEO and be an integral part of the Senior Leadership Team. The COO will oversee several non-investment functions of the organization including human resources, fundraising and investor relations, ESG management, strategy setting, corporate communications and IT and support the rest of the Senior Leadership team.
The ideal candidate will be dynamic and results driven with a proven track record of delivering effective multi-functional leadership in first class organizations in the public or private sector. The successful candidate for the COO position will be an accomplished executive with unquestionable integrity as well as a track record of success.
The COO will have the following responsibilities:
- Overseeing and coordinating global fundraising initiatives from public and private investors including broadening and deepening existing relationships and building new ones;
- Overseeing the HR, Investor Relations, ESG management, strategy setting, corporate communications and IT functions;
- Advising the CEO on an ongoing basis regarding Africa50’s strategy, operations and organizational effectiveness;
- Assisting the CEO in developing new key relationships and managing existing ones at the senior level;
- Facilitating internal communication and driving collaboration and employee engagement across the organization;
- Ensuring effective external communication and public relations;
- Overseeing continuous improvements in ESG, operations, and other key areas as needed;
- Developing, maintaining, and improving where necessary, the administrative processes, infrastructure, and systems required in a manner that supports and furthers Africa50’s strategic objectives and growth;
- Overseeing the development of operational policies and procedures, including HR policies, and continually reviewing the adequacy of human and technology resources;
- Representing the CEO in relevant meetings and Forums as required.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- At least a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources, or any other related discipline or a relevant Bachelor’s degree with considerable experience in senior management levels in private or public/multilateral sectors
- A minimum of 15 years relevant global experience in a large multinational finance institution or public/private/multilateral organisation, of which at least five (5) years will be at a senior leadership level.
- Knowledge and experience of Africa - the business, political and development context.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- The individual will be a broad-based business professional with cross functional business experience who understands the impact of financial decisions and will be decisive about investments in people, processes, and technology;
- The Chief Operating Officer must be a ‘hands on’ leader who is not only capable of managing the day-to-day business operations of Africa50, but also a true business partner and leader who is able to support Africa50’s long-term strategy for growth.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated capacity for strategic planning to work with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team to set direction;
- Proven ability to identify and articulate policy issues, trade-offs, and priorities to provide sound advice to the CEO and Africa50’s Senior Leadership Team;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to synthesize complex issues, translating this into effective written and oral communication and actionable plans.
Executing for Results
- A builder who balances strategic vision with an operational execution orientation and has the communication skills to effectively communicate the importance of both.
- Ability to ensure flawless execution skills, a sense of urgency, the antennae to identify problems early;
- Must be result autonomous, result oriented, self-motivated and possess the ability to combine both “hands on,” strategy and policy issues;
- Demonstrable experience executing organizational transformational change and improvement of processes;
- Ability and agility to manage complex institutional arrangements to deliver a high performing organization;
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a high degree of performance across functions in a multicultural and distributed organization.
- Demonstrated superior leadership qualities with a proven track record in managing a highly diverse knowledge work force and developing a work environment that fosters teamwork and innovation;
- Strong ability in leading and mobilizing multi-cultural, multi-functional teams with different skill sets;
- Proven record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling environment, including the ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor and develop and evaluate staff;
- Ability to cultivate a compelling employer brand from the inside out and the outside in with a strong marketing orientation, aligning all aspects of the organization around a strong purpose to drive engagement.
Building Relationships and Using Influence
- Ability to build partnerships and to deliver results aligned with the needs and long-term strategic priorities of Africa50 and its stakeholders;
- High degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity in dealing with stakeholders at all levels, both internally and externally;
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills with the ability to adapt one’s style to different cultural contexts;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide consultancy to different stakeholders;
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French
The COO will be based in Casablanca, Morocco.
Africa50 intends to offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a full CV together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to Astrid.Ausserhofer@russellreynolds.com. All applications will be acknowledged. The application deadline is 31 July 2020.