Investment Director, Project Development
- Position: Investment Director, Project Development
- Location: Casablanca
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Africa50 is an infrastructure investment platform that contributes to Africa's growth by developing and investing in bankable projects, catalyzing public sector capital, and mobilizing private sector funding.
Africa50 has raised over US$870 million so far from 28 African governments, the African Development Bank, and institutional investors, and intends to reach a target capitalization of US$3 billion. Africa50 has an independent investment process and seeks to generate commercial risk adjusted returns for its investments across four core infrastructure sectors: energy (including power generation and related parts of the value chain), midstream gas, transportation, and ICT.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Investment Director role is to originate, negotiate, develop, close and manage Africa50 PD projects. She/he is expected to provide leadership, management and technical support to the project teams to ensure the successful development of bankable projects.
- Develop a strong pipeline of opportunities by anticipating market trends and employing sector/sponsor/country knowledge
- Execute and supervise Africa50 PD investments with a strong focus on achieving bankable projects
- Lead the structuring of complex transactions, including negotiations with sponsors, lenders, and public authorities
- Set standards for thoroughness and provides quality control over the entire investment process
- Lead the development and presentation of investment recommendations
- Lead and manage project teams; mentors and develops junior staff.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with local/regional/global/infrastructure companies, banking and multilateral partners, and government officials
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the power and transport sectors, including market major operators and technologies
- 10+ years investment and industry experience in project development, investment and/or project finance in the power and/or transport sectors within:
- a utility / concession company
- the project finance / infrastructure / power department of a Tier 1 international investment bank
- the infrastructure department in a Development Finance Institution
- the infrastructure / PPP department of a transaction / financial advisory firm
- an infrastructure private equity fund with significant exposure to project development
- MBA, MSc or equivalent qualification from a Tier 1 university
- Demonstrated track record of closing complex infrastructure transactions
- Prior experience of mentoring and managing investment staff
- Positive attitude
- Indefatigable work ethic
- Self-starter / self-motivated
- Clarity of thought and action
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Interest in Africa50’s mission, strategy and values
- Strong connection to Africa and intent to have Africa-focused career
- Strong understanding of infrastructure sectors (which may include power, transport, ICT, water etc.)Strong understanding of PPP project structuring and project finance (incl. Concession agreements, PPAs, EPC, O&M contracts)
- Awareness of the latest trends and developments in financing infrastructure
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively and identify potential business partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French, Portuguese a plus
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively at a senior level and create sufficient trust and confidence with sponsors, partners and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds; living experience in emerging countries is a plus
- Prior knowledge of African infrastructure and relationships in Africa are a strong plus
How To Apply
To apply, please send a full CV together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to email@example.com. All applications will be acknowledged.