Africa50 is an investment platform, focused exclusively on Africa's infrastructure investment opportunities. It is an independent, profit-driven, commercially managed entity that provides a means for private sector investors to bring capital to infrastructure development, while securing a commercial return. Africa50 is focusing on large-scale, transformative, commercially and developmentally sustainable infrastructure projects. It prioritizes investments in high-impact national and regional projects in the energy, transport, information communication technology and midstream gas sectors and expands to other economically viable and impactful sectors such as healthcare, education, and fintech. Africa50 - Project Development seeks to increase the number of bankable infrastructure projects. It invests early-stage equity and quasi-equity and engages with stakeholders throughout the deal cycle with the aim of accelerating project implementation. Africa50 - Project Finance engages stakeholders near to or after financial close. It provides equity and quasi-equity with flexible exit options. Africa50 leverages shareholders countries’ capital commitment to mobilize long-term savings from within and outside Africa. The result should be a significant contribution to efforts that ensure sustained economic growth on the African continent.
The Transactional Lawyer will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice and support to transactional deal teams in connection with equity and quasi-equity investments and other types of investment transactions.
- Assume primary lawyer responsibility for new and portfolio investments.
- Draft and review legal documentation and conduct due diligence.
- Negotiate with external counterparties.
- Advise on the selection of outside counsel, supervise outside counsel and manage legal costs.
- Obtain and expand country knowledge, experience and best practices arising from Africa50’s business and effectively share this knowledge internally.
- Other items to be determined by the General Counsel from time to time
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- Qualified to practice law in one or more jurisdictions
- At least 8 years post-qualification relevant law firm and/or financial institution and/or development institution experience
- Significant experience in equity investment, with a preference for equity investments in infrastructure transactions.
- Experience in fund formation and management is helpful.
- Experience in infrastructure project financing is helpful.
- Ability to identify, assess and summarize legal, regulatory, commercial and operational risks
- Ability to handle complex corporate and commercial transactions independently.
- Willingness to assume multiple roles and tasks to meet changing business needs and an ability to foresee, troubleshoot and effectively resolve conflicting issues and challenges.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to deal sensitively in a multicultural environment and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with quick turnaround expectations.
- Business oriented.
- Detail oriented, with an ability to distinguish among issues of varying priority
- Exemplary writing skills
- Willingness to travel extensively.
Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and, preferably also, French.
The Transactional Lawyer will be based in Casablanca, Morocco.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, click here to Apply Now.
We kindly request that only people meeting all the criteria highlighted above should apply to this position. We will contact the shortlisted candidates within four weeks maximum.