Chief Operating Officer, Africa50 - Applications Closed
- Position: Chief Operating Officer, Africa50 - Applications Closed
- Location: Casablanca, Morocco
In 2012, African Heads of States in their Declaration on the Program for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA) called for innovative solutions to facilitate and accelerate infrastructure delivery in Africa. In response, and after broad consultations with African stakeholders, the African Development Bank (AfDB) proposed the establishment of a new delivery vehicle called Africa50. Africa50 is a landmark investment vehicle, focused exclusively on Africa’s infrastructure development opportunities. It is an independent, profit driven, commercially managed entity with a development objective. It will provide a means for private sector investors to bring fresh capital to infrastructure development in Africa while securing a return. The result should be a significant boost to efforts to ensure sustained economic growth in the African continent.
Africa50 held its constitutive General Assembly in Casablanca, Morocco in July 2015. It is an African- led initiative with early capital commitments from African governments, central banks and the African Development Bank as its cornerstone investor. The African Development Bank is the foremost development finance institution in Africa, established in 1963 to contribute to the economic development and social progress of the continent.
Africa50 will focus primarily on large scale, transformative, commercially and developmentally sustainable infrastructure projects. Africa50 will target investments in high-impact national and regional projects in the energy, transport, ICT and water sectors.
Africa50 has established two business streams, as follows:
- Project Development: The primary objective of this segment is to increase the number of bankable infrastructure projects in Africa. This will be accomplished through substantially increased funding of early stage project development activities, made possible by innovative partnerships and incentive schemes. Further, Africa50 will actively participate through legal, technical, financial and other forms of support of the project development process, sharing costs with member governments and developers and recovering its funding and sweat equity under terms and conditions to be agreed and consistent with market practices.
- Project Finance: This segment will focus on sourcing and making quality later stage investments primarily through equity, quasi-equity including mezzanine instruments. Investments in this segment will be made across the project life cycle i.e. Investments in (i) projects at or near financial close for which bankability has been established, ii) projects in construction, iii) projects already in operation.
So far, the AfDB, twenty three (23) African countries and two (2) central banks have committed funds to capitalize Africa50. The first closing was available only to African countries and Central Banks. It is expected that subsequent closings will be available not only to African countries that are yet to invest in Africa50, but also to non-sovereign investors both in Africa and outside Africa. Africa50’s committed capitalization is expected to reach US1 billion in in the next few months. The target is to raise US3 billion in equity over the medium term to invest in commercially viable infrastructure projects across Africa.
As a commercially oriented financial institution, Africa50 will seek to preserve and grow its capital base as well as provide a return to shareholders. It will have three broad groups of investors: i) African Countries, ii) the AfDB and other major development financiers, iii) institutional investors such as sovereign wealth and pension funds.
Africa50 is an autonomous entity, legally and financially independent. All operational decisions will be made by a management team which will be selected on technical merit and demonstrated managerial competence.
Mr. Alain Ebobisse has recently been appointed as CEO of Africa50.
Africa50 has its headquarters in Casablanca. It enjoys all immunities and privileges recognized to International Financial Institutions.
Africa50 is seeking a Chief Operating Officer (“COO”) who will collaborate with the CEO and support the Senior Leadership Team, and oversee several non-investment functions of the organization. The COO will be an integral part of the Senior Leadership Team and oversee human resources, investor relations, ESG management, strategy setting, corporate communications and IT.
The ideal candidate will be dynamic and results driven with a proven record delivering effective multi- functional leadership in first class organizations in the public or private sector. The successful candidate for the COO position will be an accomplished executive with unquestioned integrity as well as a track record of success.
The COO will have the following responsibilities:
- Overseeing the HR, Investor Relations, ESG management, strategy setting, corporate communications and IT functions;
- Developing, maintaining, and improving where necessary, the administrative processes,infrastructure, and systems required in a manner that supports and furthers Africa50’s strategic objectives and growth;
- Advising the CEO on an ongoing basis regarding Africa50’s strategy, operations and organisational effectiveness;
- Overseeing the development of operational policies and procedures, including HR policies, and continually reviewing the adequacy of human and technology resources;
- Supporting the CEO in coordinating global fundraising initiatives including broadening and deepening existing relationships and building new ones;
- Facilitating communication across functions and externally;
- Helping to lead continuous improvements in ESG, operations, and other key areas as needed.
- Representing the CEO in relevant meetings and Forums as required.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- At least a Master’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or any other related discipline or a relevant Bachelor’s degree with considerable experience in senior management levels in private or public/multilateral sectors;
- A minimum of 15 years relevant global experience in a large multinational finance institution or public/private organisation, of which at least five (5) years will be at a senior management level;
- Knowledge and experience of Africa - the business, political and development context.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- The individual will be a broad-based business professional with cross functional business experience who understands the impact of financial decisions and will be decisive about investments in people, processes, and technology;
- The Chief Operating Officer must be a ‘hands on’ leader who is not only capable of managing the day-to-day business operations of Africa50, but also a true business partner and leader who is able to support Africa50’s long-term strategy for growth.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated capacity for strategic planning to work with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team to set direction;
- Proven ability to identify and articulate policy issues, trade-offs, and priorities to provide sound advice to the CEO and Africa50’s Senior Leadership Team;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to synthesize complex issues, translating this into effective written and oral communication and actionable plans.
Executing for Results
- A builder who balances strategic vision with an operational execution orientation and has the communication skills to effectively communicate the importance of both.
- Ability to ensure flawless execution skills, a sense of urgency, the antennae to identify problems early;
- Must be result autonomous, result oriented, self-motivated and possess the ability to combine both “hands on,” strategy and policy issues;
- Demonstrable experience executing organizational transformational change and improvement of processes;
- Ability and agility to manage complex institutional arrangements to deliver a high performing organization;
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a high degree of performance across functions in a multicultural and distributed organization.
- Demonstrated superior leadership qualities with a proven track record in managing a highly diverse knowledge work force and developing a work environment that fosters teamwork and innovation;
- Strong ability in leading and mobilizing multi-cultural, multi-functional teams with different skill sets;
- Proven record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling environment, including the ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor and develop and evaluate staff;
- Ability to cultivate a compelling employer brand from the inside out and the outside in with a strong marketing orientation, aligning all aspects of the organization around a strong purpose to drive engagement.
Building Relationships and Using Influence
- Ability to build partnerships and to deliver results aligned with the needs and long-term strategic priorities of Africa50 and its stakeholders;
- High degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity in dealing with stakeholders at all levels, both internally and externally;
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills with the ability to adapt one’s style to different cultural contexts;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide consultancy to different stakeholders;
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French
The COO will be based in Casablanca, Morocco.
Africa50 intends to offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a full CV together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to Africa50@russellreynolds.com. Please include the role title and the reference number 1611-001BL in the subject of your e-mail. All applications will be acknowledged.