Director of Project Development, Africa50 - Applications Closed
- Position: Director of Project Development, Africa50 - Applications Closed
- Publication date: 15/07/2015
- Closing date: 31/08/2015
Africa50 is a landmark investment vehicle, focused exclusively on Africa’s infrastructure development opportunities. It is an independent, profit driven, commercially managed entity. It will provide a means for private sector investors to bring fresh capital to infrastructure development while securing a return. The result should be a significant boost to efforts to ensure sustained economic growth on the African continent. Africa50 will focus on large scale, transformative, commercially and developmentally sustainable infrastructure projects. Africa50 will target investments in high-impact national and regional projects in the energy, transport, Information Communication Technology and water sectors.
Duties and responsibilities
This position is responsible for originating and leading the development of infrastructure projects in Africa, with a view to providing projects for Africa50 to invest in and finance. The person will need to interact with and balance the interests of government officials, private sector capital and infrastructure providers, contractors and other multi-lateral lenders, and work closely with the Director of Project Finance. The Director of Project Development will also work with other members of the Senior Management Team in developing and implementing the strategies for Africa50.This position will report to the Africa50 Chief Executive Officer.
Africa50 seeks to appoint the Director of Project Development to undertake, but not limited to, the following activities:
- Working with the Director of Project Finance, develop and implement a strategy for Africa50 in developing a pipeline of appropriate infrastructure projects in Africa;
- Lead a team to originate and structure infrastructure projects in Africa, balancing the requirements of governments, private sector participants and finance providers, while meeting the risk/reward objectives of Africa50 in both financial and environmental and social areas;
- Many of the projects will be at an early stage, which will require developing and managing budgets on an effective basis, facilitating feasibility studies, procuring a variety of contracts including consultants, contractors, and finance;
- Lead a team to structure, negotiate and execute the non-financial contracts of infrastructure projects, but ensuring that the terms and conditions will be acceptable to capital providers;
- Produce regular reports to the Senior Management Team and the Board on progress;
- Provide Risk with all information required to enable them to manage, measure and monitor risk exposures;
- Maintain a macro-overview of specific business environments including regulatory/environmental legislation in Africa;
- Work with the legal and risk departments to ensure that Africa50’s requirements are incorporated into documentation;
- Ensuring that operational risk is managed effectively within his/her areas of responsibility, and that his/her teams comply with all approved operational risk controls;
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, assist the CEO in the management and development of Africa50 to ensure a smoothly functioning, and efficient organization.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
Applicants must have:
- Experience of and a successful track record in developing infrastructure projects in emerging markets, including all financial aspects.
- Experience of current trends, developments, and theories in finance and development of infrastructure around the world.
- Skills to foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships.
- Ability to recognize and be responsive to the needs of all clients of the organization, including funding organizations, the Board of Directors, governments, and employees.
- People management skills to supervise staff, including regular progress reviews and plans for development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.