Director of Project Finance, Africa50 - Applications Open
- Position: Director of Project Finance, Africa50 - Applications Open
- Location: Casablanca, Morocco
This position is responsible for originating and leading the execution of Africa50’s later stage investments. The Director will also manage the portfolio of later stage investments. The Director will play a critical role in the recruitment and the coaching of the Investment Officers. The person will need to interact with and balance the interests of government officials, private sector capital providers, contractors and other Development Financial Institutions, and work closely with the Director, Project Development. The Director, Project Finance will also work with other members of the Senior Management Team in developing and implementing the strategies for Africa50.
The Director, Project Finance will report to the Chief Executive Officer of Africa50.
The Director, Project Finance shall undertake the following activities:
- Working with the Director, Project Development, develop and implement a strategy for Africa50 in developing a pipeline of appropriate later stage investments in infrastructure projects in Africa;
- Hire and lead a team to originate and invest (primarily through equity, quasi-equity including mezzanine instruments) in infrastructure projects in Africa, balancing the requirements of governments and private sector participants, while meeting the risk/reward objectives of Africa50 in both financial and environmental and social areas;
- Develop a sound business process and investment guidelines;
- Develop strategic relationships with private equity firms, IFIs and developers and other infrastructure investors;
- Lead a team to structure, negotiate and execute the financial contracts of infrastructure projects. This will also entail working closely with, and providing input to the Project Development team on all contracts in Infrastructure projects;
- Proactively manage the portfolio of later stage investments and Produce regular reports to the Senior Management Team and the Board on progress;
- Maintain a macro-overview of specific business environments including finance and regulatory/environmental legislation in Africa;
- Work with the legal department to ensure that Africa50’s requirements are incorporated into any documentation;
- Prioritize business activities against availability of resources, manage internal budgets and meet planned targets in business results.
- Ensure that operational risk is managed effectively within his/her areas of responsibility, and that his/her teams comply with all approved operational risk controls;
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, assists the CEO in the management and development of Africa50 to ensure a smoothly functioning, efficient organization.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- At least a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Strategic Management, Finance, or any other related discipline;
- A minimum of 15 years relevant experience in later stage investments in a large multinational finance institution or public/private organisation in the financial services industry, of which at least four (4) years will be at a management level.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- Experience of and a successful track record in later stage investments in infrastructure projects in emerging markets, primarily through equity, quasi-equity and mezzanine instruments with debt as a plus;
- Experience of current trends, developments, and theories in finance and development of infrastructure around the world;
- Skills to foster and cultivate business opportunities and partnerships;
- Ability to recognize and be responsive to the needs of all clients and stakeholders of the organization, including funding organizations, the Board of Directors, governments, and employees;
- Excellent organisational skills and demonstrated capacity for strategic planning.
- Proven ability to identify and articulate policy issues, trade-offs, and priorities to provide sound advice to the CEO and Africa50’s senior management.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to synthesize complex issues, translating this into effective written and oral communication and actionable plans.
Executing for Results
- Ability and agility to manage complex institutional arrangements to deliver a high performing organisation.
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a high degree of performance across functions in a multicultural and distributed organisation.
- People management skills to supervise staff, including regular progress reviews and plans for growth and improvement;
- Demonstrated superior leadership qualities with a proven track record in managing a highly diverse work force and developing a work environment that fosters teamwork and innovation.
- Strong ability in leading and mobilising multi-cultural, multi-functional teams with different skill sets.
- Demonstrated ability to work across institutional boundaries with various teams, build and lead a team of professional staff, and utilise the talent and expertise of team members productively.
Building Relationships and Using Influence
- Ability to build partnerships and to deliver results aligned with the needs and long-term strategic priorities of Africa50 and its stakeholders.
- High degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity in dealing with stakeholders at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills with the ability to adapt one’s style to different cultural contexts.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
The Director, Project Finance will be based in Casablanca, Morocco.
Africa50 intends to offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a full CV together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to Africa50@russellreynolds.com . Please include the role title and the reference number P1608-002BL in the subject of your e-mail. All applications will be acknowledged.