Head of Investor Relations, Africa50 - Applications Closed
- Position: Head of Investor Relations, Africa50 - Applications Closed
- Location: Casablanca, Morocco
Reporting to, and partnering with, the CEO and supporting Senior Management, the Director will lead fundraising and develop investor relationships globally, with public and private shareholders.
Ideally, the successful candidate will have a network of relationships or contacts among public stakeholders as well as financial institutions and other possible private investors in Africa50, including access to decision-makers at development finance institutions; endowments and foundations; public and private pension funds; insurance companies; and private equity “gate-keepers” and consultants.
He/she must be able to engage in meaningful dialogue with current and future shareholders (public and private sector). This individual must demonstrate excellent business judgment and radiate professionalism and personal drive. This position demands a hard working individual, who is a natural team player and enjoys collaborating with sophisticated investment professionals. His/her relationship building skills must be well honed and he/she should have a natural ability to communicate effectively with a sophisticated client base.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Identifying potential new and target investor relationships and representing Africa50 in meetings with, and finals presentations to, prospective investors.
- Managing the relationship with the existing shareholders and managing the Annual Shareholders Meeting.
- Articulating all aspects of Africa50’s investment strategies to targeted and existing investors, in order to grow assets under management.
- Working to ensure that information regarding Africa50’s products/strategies is accurate and current, and responding to new questions as they arise. Anticipating client queries and issues.
- Working closely with Africa50’s investment team, as well as others in the firm, in understanding investment activity and performance in the portfolios. Ensuring that investors are well informed and knowledgeable about the performance of the assets they have entrusted to Africa50’s investment team.
- Staying current on the competitive environment in order to position Africa50 most effectively.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- At least a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Strategic Management, Finance, Investment, Law, or any other related discipline;
- A minimum of 15 years relevant experience in Investor Relations and fundraising in a private equity fund or public/private organisation in the financial services industry, of which at least four (4) years will be at a senior management level.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- A successful institutional sales background with private equity or illiquid credit strategies, with a proven track record building sales pipeline and closing institutional business. Most recently, this individual may have worked at a placement firm, private equity firm, hedge fund or other alternatives firm in a sales, marketing, investor relations, or other capital-raising capacity.
- Demonstrable track record of working with sophisticated, institutional clients including Development Financial Institutions and raising/growing assets from a variety of investor channels including development finance institutions, corporate and private pensions, foundations and endowments, insurance companies, family offices/HNW investors, and investment consultants/gatekeepers.
- Strong technical ability with a high level of knowledge of similar private equity and credit strategies, typical product structures, investor demands and behaviors.
- He/she will understand the decision-making and thought processes of different client segments and have a perspective on how first class market and strategic thinking influences product and, ultimately, business development. An understanding of investors' asset allocation strategy, and hence their investment product needs, is key.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills, with an ability to explain sophisticated products and complex investment strategies.
- An organized, confident and entrepreneurial personal and professional style, with well-developed communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and demonstrated capacity for strategic planning;
- Proven ability to identify and articulate policy issues, trade-offs, and priorities to provide sound advice to the CEO and Africa50’s senior management;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to synthesize complex issues, translating this into effective written and oral communication and actionable plans;
Executing for Results
- Successful track record establishing meaningful relationships with institutional investors and senior government officials and gaining their confidence.
- He/She should have the ability to drive for results, setting and achieving compelling goals and schedules, as well as demonstrating the appropriate level of tenacity and persistence usually found in successful sales and marketing professionals.
- Able to operate independently and with little direction, while remaining an ardent team player.
- Demonstrated superior leadership qualities with a proven track record in managing a highly diverse knowledge work force and developing a work environment that fosters teamwork and innovation.
- Strong ability in leading and mobilising multi-cultural, multi-functional teams with different skill sets.
- Demonstrated ability to work across institutional boundaries with various teams, build and lead a team of professional staff, and utilise the talent and expertise of team members productively.
Building Relationships and Using Influence
- Internally, this individual must exhibit strong leadership skills and promote collegial working relationships.
- Self-starter, who is personable, possesses unquestionable integrity, and is interested in the success of the group as a whole.
- Credibility and the ability to command respect both internally and externally in a market leading investment organization. He/she will be a credible representative of Africa50 at the highest level of client interaction, with the ability to articulate complex investment processes to a diverse audience of investment decision-makers.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- The Director, Investor Relations will be based in Casablanca, Morocco.
Africa50 intends to offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
How To Apply
To apply, please send a full CV together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to Africa50@russellreynolds.com. Please include the role title and the reference number 1608-007BL in the subject of your e-mail. All applications will be acknowledged.