ESG Specialist, Africa50 IAF
Supporting Management and Investment teams, the ESG Specialist will have the following responsibilities:
- Oversing ESG Management System implementation while ensuring that the ESG Manual and Policy are reviewed on a three-yearly basis in line with emerging trends.
- Ensuring adequate resources are available and committed to implementing the ESG Management System, while ensuring that IAF’s ongoing ESG management responsibilities are delivered.
- Ensuring that staff receives adequate training relating to the IAF ESG management system and its implementation (as applicable to their involvement in such activities).
- Overseeing the ongoing monitoring of ESG management responsibilities by appointed ESG officers, while supporting investment professionals assigned with ESG duties.
- Overseeing and supporting site visits to portfolio companies including on-site audits, monitoring and evaluation activities, provision of support and training, assessing progress and providing support on the implementation of prescribed corrective actions, and reviewing post-site visit reports.
- Assessing project lead sponsors’ ESG capability (where the lead sponsor is not IAF) and advising the IAF investment team as appropriate on areas of sponsor weakness that require corrective action in order to ensure alignment with the ESG Management System.
- Supporting the IAF investment teams in their engagement with sponsors, portfolio companies, and other relevant project stakeholders, to encourage and guide all relevant project stakeholders towards the achievement of ESG standards that align with the IAF’s ESG standards.
- Overseeing the appointment and management of third-party consultants for complex ESG due diligence and/or monitoring (i.e. for Category A and selected Category B investment opportunities).
- Assisting with the scoping of complex ESG due diligence and/or monitoring exercises (i.e. for Category A and selected Category B investment opportunities).
- Reviewing and signing-off on ESG DDs for Category A (High) and B (Medium) investment opportunities.
- Contributing to the evaluation of investment proposals, including investment committee papers and meetings.
- Supporting in negotiations with underlying investments to ensure that ESG rights are embedded in legal agreements, including ESG action plans (where appropriate).
- Ensuring effective monitoring of portfolio company compliance with the internal ESG requirements and policies, including the implementation of agreed action plans or management plans.
- Responding to significant ESG incidents arising in portfolio companies and ensuring that the IAF Executive Management and relevant investors are informed of such incidents, as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Overseeing disclosure of key ESG information to relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinating the Advisory Board ESG Committee (or similar forums) including the preparation of an annual calendar, meeting minutes, meeting packs, and information sharing.
- Co-ordinating engagement with external stakeholders where required, including implementing stakeholder engagement plans, preparing press releases (liaising with the communications team) and information packs, thought leadership pieces, attending speaking engagements, developing relationships with investors, NGOs and civil society organizations, development finance institutions, and industry players.
- Driving internal ESG skills development and capacity building of deal executives, investment professionals and lead sponsors through internal and external training.
- Overseeing site visits to portfolio companies (particularly challenging sites) including on-site audits, monitoring and evaluation, provision of support and training, preparing corrective actions, and post- site visit reporting.
- Collation and compilation of an Annual ESG Report.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 10 years experience in Environment, Sustainability and Governance fields in Africa and/or other emerging markets.
- Experience within a relevant financial institution or public/private organization in the financial services industry (e.g., PE, DFI, multilateral institution, sovereign wealth fund), of which at least seven (7) years will be at a senior management level;
- Strong connection to Africa and intent to pursue an Africa-focused career;
Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and French.
The IAF intends to offer a competitive salary and benefits package
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, click here to Apply Now.
We kindly request that only people meeting all the profile's criteria highlighted above apply to this position. We will contact the shortlisted candidates within four weeks maximum.