Leadership & Team
Meet our Leadership and diverse team of professionals.
Our Vision & Values
Our investments are designed to drive competitive returns while also advancing development goals, in accordance with our mandate, vision and values.
Structure & Governance
We seek to ensure the independence and quality of our investments through strong governance and management.
General Counsel, Africa50 - Applications Open
- Position: General Counsel, Africa50 - Applications Open
Reporting to, and partnering with, the CEO and supporting Senior Leadership Team, the General Counsel will lead Africa50’s legal team. As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team, the General Counsel will protect the interest of Africa50 from legal liability and, as necessary, provide legal defense in cases against or by Africa50.
The legal team provides, in particular, legal support, legal advice and services to the Board, to the Senior Leadership Team, as well as the investment team of Africa50. It ensures that Africa50 has at its disposal the best available legal support, advice and services in order to enable Africa50 to fulfil its functions, in accordance with the constitutive instruments and the principles and norms of international investment funds. The legal team exercises both advisory and operational functions and responsibilities, and renders legal support, advice and services in connection with all aspects of the business of Africa50.
The General Counsel will be responsible for the following:
- As the principal legal advisor of the governing bodies of Africa50, you will provide legal support and services to the Board, the Senior Leadership Team, the operations team, and the investment team
- Draft or supervise the drafting of all legal instruments for the governance of Africa50, to ensure conformity with constitutive agreements, rules and regulations and to enhance the pace of implementation of decisions
- Ensure that the policies of Africa50 conform to sound legal principles in line with the practices of other international financial institutions and investment funds
- Represent Africa50 with respect to legal matters in negotiations with shareholders and other international organizations and represent and defend Africa50 in arbitral and judicial proceedings
- Lead, plan, direct, manage and coordinate the work of the legal team to ensure responsiveness, effectiveness and high-level delivery on all legal matters, and also advance strategic directions of Africa50
- Direct and manage all activities related to providing advice and assistance to all organizational units of Africa50 on legal aspects of institutional, financial, operational, investment, and administrative matters, and
- Establish and maintain contacts with the legal profession outside Africa50 and arranging for Africa50 to obtain the best legal advice and services as needed
- Essential Qualifications & Experience
- At least a Master’s degree in private and public law, international finance, commercial law, comparative and corporate law
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in legal practice, with extensive experience in structuring and negotiation of transactions across multiple sectors and countries, at least 4 years of which must be at a senior management level
- Extensive experience in legal services for international organizations
Performance and personal competencies required:
- Business Acumen
- Strong understanding of legal aspects related to the specifics of a fund management company would be a plus
- Familiarity with the work of other multilateral and bilateral development finance institutions and the private sector would be a plus
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated capacity for strategic planning to work with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team to set direction
- Proven ability to identify and articulate policy issues, trade-offs, and priorities to provide sound advice to the CEO and Africa50’s Senior Leadership Team
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to synthesize complex issues, translating this into effective written and oral communication and actionable plans
Executing for Results
- Commitment to consistent delivery of the highest quality outputs, with deep technical understanding and attention to detail
- Established reputation and track record of performance, innovation and change management
- Ability to ensure flawless execution skills, a sense of urgency, and capacity to detect problems early
- Must be result autonomous, result oriented, self-motivated and possesses the ability to combine both “hands on” strategy and policy issues
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a high degree of performance across functions in a multicultural and distributed organization
- Ability to inspire, generate and sustain staff commitment and professional excellence
- Strong ability in leading and mobilizing multi-cultural teams with different skill sets
- Provides direct leadership by setting, communicating, and modelling high standards of performance and professionalism, developing and maintaining a high level of personal credibility and work ethic; and
- Proven record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling environment, including the ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor and develop and evaluate staff
Building Relationships and Using Influence
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to adapt one’s style to different cultural contexts
- Proven track record in building and maintaining key relationships and trust with main internal stakeholders including managers, peers and teams
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively with oversight bodies such as regulators and other senior management and government officials
- High degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity in dealing with stakeholders at all levels, both internally and externally
- Language Requirements: Superior written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French
The General Counsel will be based in Casablanca, Morocco.
Africa50 intends to offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to apply
To apply, please send a full CV together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the role title and the reference number 2102-002BL in the subject of your e-mail. All applications will be acknowledged. The application deadline is 31 March 2021.