Leadership & Team
Meet our Leadership and diverse team of professionals.
Our Vision & Values
Our investments are designed to drive competitive returns while also advancing development goals, in accordance with our mandate, vision and values.
Structure & Governance
We seek to ensure the independence and quality of our investments through strong governance and management.
Senior Director, Risk
The Senior Director, Risk will ensure that risks are identified and considered in the development of the strategic vision and proactively manage to balance both the risk and rewards of the business.
The Senior Director, Risk will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead the design of the risk framework and the risk management strategy of Africa50, as well as the setting up of Africa50 risk appetite
- Oversee the implementation of the overall risk strategy and policy and ensure that risk taken by the corporation is consistent with the risk appetite
- Lead the adoption, implementation and monitoring of the Enterprise Risk Management framework, tools, practices, and policies to analyze, identify, manage, and report enterprise risks
- Proactively seek and recommend enhancements or adjustments to the risk strategy and policy and Enterprise Risk Management framework
- Ensure the organization's risk management policies and strategies are in compliance with applicable regulations and strategic imperatives of the organization
- Lead implementation of risk assessments, identifying strategic, operational, compliance and reporting risks
- Oversee Compliance, AML / KYC / CFT (together, “IDD”) procedures implementation, including taking responsibility for investee company/investor/LP review and signing off on IDD approvals required at the various stages of the project cycle.
- Establish a framework and oversee responses to IDD requests made of the Africa50 Group by other institutions and work closely with the investment team in responding to IDD issues/questions
- Monitor, analyze and aggregate risks within the organization and report on these risks to management, the Risk Committee and the Board
- Ensure that business and reputational risks are sufficiently mitigated by policies, procedures and controls
- Lead the internal control function, design the internal control framework and pro-actively identify and implement internal control improvements
- Coordinate all the internal audit work as a liaison within Africa50 (including, the evaluation and rotation of the internal auditor)
- Implement education and training to ensure employees have adequate awareness and understanding of the overall risk strategy and the approved risk policy as well as internal control standards and any other related Africa50 policies
- Work with senior management to build a continuous risk awareness culture in Africa50
- Contribute to building an environment that is conducive to discussing risk at all staff levels throughout the organization.
- Act as designated compliance officer for all Africa50 group entities
- Draft, update and implement Africa50 risk policies
- Monitor and share risk management developments in similar organizations
- Stay abreast of industry practices and knowledge
- At least a Bachelors’ degree in Business Economics and/or financial engineering background, an MBA is a plus.
- Minimum 15 years experience of which at least 6-8 years at a management level
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written) with proven exposure to senior leadership
- Good time management, project management, analytical skills
- Self-starter, independent
- In-depth experience with knowledge and understanding of Risk Management within an investment fund or corporation or a similar entity
- Sensitivity for balancing Risk Management with business opportunities
- Should be proficient in evaluating controls through established frameworks
- Fluent in English. French is a plus
- Strong relationship to Africa - whether it be origin or a demonstrated long-term interest/commitment. Existing relationships in Africa are a plus
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, click here to Apply Now.
We kindly request that only people meeting all the profile's criteria highlighted above apply to this position. We will contact the shortlisted candidates within four weeks maximum.