Leadership & Team
Meet our Leadership and diverse team of professionals.
Our Vision & Values
Our investments are designed to drive competitive returns while also advancing development goals, in accordance with our mandate, vision and values.
Structure & Governance
We seek to ensure the independence and quality of our investments through strong governance and management.
Senior Investment Associate - Project Development
- Position: Senior Investment Associate - Project Development
Africa50 is an infrastructure investment platform that contributes to Africa's growth by developing and investing in bankable projects, catalyzing public sector capital, and mobilizing private sector funding.
Africa50 has raised over US$870 million so far from 28 African governments, the African Development Bank, and institutional investors, and intends to reach a target capitalization of US$3 billion. Africa50 has an independent investment process and seeks to generate commercial risk adjusted returns for its investments across four core infrastructure sectors: energy (including power generation and related parts of the value chain), midstream gas, transportation, and ICT.
Purpose of Role
The Senior Investment Associate role is to identify and execute on project development investments.
- Participate in the development of a strong pipeline of opportunities by anticipating market trends and employing sector/sponsor/country knowledge
- Lead the structuring of project development and equity investments
- Participate and/or lead negotiations with sponsors, lenders, and public authorities
- Lead Africa50’s contribution to the development of projects in the portfolio with a strong focus on achieving bankable projects
- Have a good understanding of project and concession financing and policy issues
- Prepare project-related documents for internal and external audiences
- Build and maintain strong relationships with local/regional/global/infrastructure companies, banking and multilateral partners, and government officials
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the power and transport sectors, including market major operators and technologies
- Contribute to supervising portfolio companies.
- 6 to 10 years’ investment and industry experience in project development, investment and/or project finance in the power and/or transport sectors within:
- a utility / concessions company
- the project finance / infrastructure / power department of a Tier 1 international investment bank
- the infrastructure department in a Development Finance Institution
- the infrastructure / PPP department of a transaction / financial advisory firm
- an infrastructure private equity fund with exposure to early to mid-stage project development
- MBA, MSc or equivalent qualification from a Tier 1 university
- Project management experience
- Solid understanding of Concession agreements, PPA, EPC, O&M contracts
- Demonstrated track record of closing transactions
- Awareness of the latest trends and developments in financing infrastructure
- Positive attitude
- Indefatigable work ethic – this role will regularly require late nights/weekends/travel
- Self-starter. High initiative
- Clarity of thought and action
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Interest in Africa50’s mission, strategy and values
- Strong connection to Africa and intent to have Africa-focused career
- Strong understanding of the power and transport sectors
- Strong understanding of PPP project structuring and project finance
- Strong business development and client relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on clients’ needs effectively and identify potential business partners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, Fluent in French, Portuguese a plus
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with sponsors, partners and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds; living experience in emerging countries is a plus
- Prior knowledge of African infrastructure and relationships in Africa are a strong plus
The Senior Investment Associate will be based in Casablanca, Morocco.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a full CV together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to email@example.com. Please include the role title in the subject of your e-mail. All applications will be acknowledged.