Leadership & Team
Meet our Leadership and diverse team of professionals.
Our Vision & Values
Our investments are designed to drive competitive returns while also advancing development goals, in accordance with our mandate, vision and values.
Structure & Governance
We seek to ensure the independence and quality of our investments through strong governance and management.
Senior Investment Associate, Project Finance
- Position: Senior Investment Associate, Project Finance
- Location: Casablanca
Africa50 is an infrastructure investment platform that contributes to Africa's growth by developing and investing in bankable projects, catalyzing public sector capital, and mobilizing private sector funding.
Africa50 has raised over US$870 million so far from 28 African governments, the African Development Bank, and institutional investors, and intends to reach a target capitalization of US$3 billion. Africa50 has an independent investment process and seeks to generate commercial risk adjusted returns for its investments across four core infrastructure sectors: energy (including power generation and related parts of the value chain), midstream gas, transportation, and ICT.
The Project Finance Investment Team makes private equity investments into late stage projects, growth companies and platform businesses, alongside lead sponsors and entrepreneurs.
Purpose of the role
The Senior Investment Associate role is to support the team’s Senior/Investment Directors and the Head of Infrastructure Investments in providing management and technical support to ensure the effective execution and investment performance of Africa50 – Project Finance (“Africa50-PF”) projects.
- Work across a wide range of infrastructure sectors including power, midstream gas, transportation, communications/digital infrastructure
- Contribute to all aspects of the investment process from origination, due diligence, and execution to portfolio management
- Evaluate prospective investment opportunities across several markets
- Supervise and check the building of complex financial models, and provide training and support for junior members of the investment team
- Participate in the preparation of deal presentations and investment memos and other investment documentation
- Develop a strong pipeline of investment opportunities through anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge
- Execute A50’s equity investments into financially closed projects as well as platforms and growth opportunities, with a strong focus on achieving commensurate risk adjusted returns
- Participate in negotiations for investment documents (Shareholders Agreements, Share Purchase Agreements, project debt agreements and other relevant agreements) and manage transaction documentation and execution
- Build and maintain strong relationships with local/regional/global infrastructure companies, sponsors, banks, multilateral institutions, and external consultants to further develop the sector
- Monitor current portfolio companies and perform analysis of potential exit opportunities
- Focused and rigorous 4+ years prior experience in private equity investing or investment banking at a top investment bank (M&A, Power & Utilities, or Leveraged Finance experience preferred
- Prior equity investment role on multiple live completed transactions is a must
- Demonstrated academic excellence
- Undergraduate degree from a top tier academic institution
- MBA or MSc Finance from top tier school, or equivalent
- Strong commitment to Africa - whether it be origin or a demonstrated long-term interest/focus in developing a career in Africa
- Positive attitude
- Indefatigable work ethic – this role will regularly require late nights/weekends/travel
- Self-starter / high levels of personal initiative
- Strong sense of urgency
- Ability to work in a team environment often under pressure
- Clarity of thought and action
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Knowledge of overall infrastructure sector trends; experience in emerging markets (especially Africa) is a plus
- Solid knowledge of accounting, finance and valuation including prior experience of company valuation and financial analysis
- Excellent analytical skills and strong attention to detail
- Technical understanding of the power, utilities, transport, and ICT sectors is a plus
- Experience in project structuring for both equity and debt investments, including understanding of project finance structures, and other legal, tax and regulatory matters in infrastructure investing
- Strong deal sourcing and relationship skills, track record and ability to focus on prospective investee’s needs effectively to identify potential business partners; ability to interact and drive negotiations with senior members at counterparties, potential investees, and other parties
- Superb organizational and deal management capabilities – ability to multitask is critical
- Strong ability to negotiate with multiple counterparties and wield influence in a professional manner
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with sponsors, partners, and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds; living experience in emerging countries is a plus
- Fluent English (French is a plus)
How to Apply
To apply, please send a full CV together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the role title in the subject of your e-mail. All applications will be acknowledged.