The Kenya Transmission PPP project entails the development, financing, construction, and operation of the 400kV Lessos – Loosuk and 220kV Kisumu – Musaga transmission lines under a public-private partnership (PPP) framework.
- Improvement of power system reliability and promote electricity access in the Western region.
- Enhance private sector participation in transmission projects in Kenya and Africa.
- Allow for the most economically efficient power from supply centres in northern Kenya (primarily wind and in the future, geothermal) to supply load centres in Western Kenya.
- Optimized design of transmission routes to avoid sensitive areas including forest reserves and densely populated areas to minimize adverse environmental and sustainability impact.
- Creation of direct and indirect job opportunities during the construction of the transmission lines.
- Technical skills will be transferred to locals and KETRACO, Kenya’s national power transmission company during the project’s construction and operation phases from the EPC contractor and POWERGRID, Africa50’s partner in this project.