A platform that seeks to raise $500m of blended finance capital and leverage the track-record, capabilities and convening power of its members to prepare, develop and finance a transformative pipeline of green infrastructure projects in Africa. In addition, it will catalyze $10 billion of private investments in green infrastructure, with the aim to accelerate Africa’s just and equitable transition to Net-Zero.
AGIA is uniquely positioned as a bridge between the Global South and North in accelerating climate action by delivering climate resilient infrastructure in Africa, critical for the economic development of the continent through scaling up project development in Africa.
There is a clear need for a dedicated mechanism that mobilises capital, partners with experienced, Africa-based experts, enhances global investor and donor participation and ensures alignment between project preparation, development and financing. AGIA will uniquely and successfully combine these approaches and contribute towards making a significant difference in achieving climate resilience for Africa.
A scaled up, end-to-end development and financing approach
- AGIA takes on a holistic approach to the development of climate resilient infrastructure, vastly increasing the chances of a project’s success regardless of its stage of development, assuming it meets the required criteria
- With proven leading professionals at its core and the added support of its Partners, AGIA will develop financially viable and bankable projects at pace and at scale
A conduit for needed risk capital in funding African infrastructure
- AGIA highlights the importance and the need for Institutions to provide risk capital towards developing African green Infrastructure
- AGIA, through its blended financing model, will encourage the provision and scaling up of risk capital in projects
- Represented by the AUC, AfDB and Africa50, AGIA enhances the environment of risk mitigation that should further encourage follow-on investment
A realistic focus on climate for Africa
- AGIA’s inception comes not only from the outcomes of COP26 and COP27, but more importantly the disproportional impact of climate change on Africa
- AGIA is an African-led initiative that focuses not only on the capital and financing required to achieve Net-Zero, but also on sustainable capacity building and the development impact of the projects on the continent once developed and built
Unparalleled access to projects
- Africa50’s and the AfDB’s relationships with Governments allows for fluid and proprietary deal flow for the AGIA platform
- The participation of Partners will enable AGIA to leverage Partners’ pipeline and project preparation facilities, providing a diverse landscape of projects
A viable and credible ecosystem for governments and institutions
- AGIA is complementary to other project preparation and development initiatives
- Owing to existing relationships, Governments will be encouraged to engage in AGIA more freely than a new or existing private sector fund or institution
- AGIA’s contribution from its Partners as co-creators is a differentiator and comparative advantage, ensuring AGIA will remain at the centre of key global initiatives, bringing together Partners’ financing criteria and requirements
Filling the project development gap
- Project Development remains the biggest gap for African investments
- AGIA will be in a unique position to directly address this via Africa50’s and other Partners’ expertise, ensuring that the solution to achieving climate resilient projects with its related financing is complete