We are pleased to invite you to the first of three Africa CEO Forum sessions which is being organized in partnership with Africa50. The first webinar, which will focus on regional infrastructure under the theme: “AfCFTA: the age of infrastructure ?”, is scheduled for Thursday 1 July 2021, 02:00 PM UTC.
Context: The implementation of the AfCFTA should have a significant effect on intra-African trade, which is estimated to increase by 52.3% in 2022, compared with trade levels in 2010. But the infrastructure deficit could threaten this path. Africa’s current pipeline of infrastructure projects is estimated to be worth $2.5 trillion. Yet only 10% of them are likely to reach financial close because of low technical capabilities and unequal allocation of resources throughout the funding project cycle. Furthermore, recent studies show that regional projects, which are important for the operationalization of the AfCFTA, represent only 2% of total infrastructure investment commitments in Africa.
As the newly launched free-trade agreement offers a strategic momentum, can a more efficient infrastructure funding project cycle emerge from it?
- Does the AfCTFA have the potential to improve infrastructure projects by making them more attractive to investors?
- Can the AfCTFA help overcome obstacles to regional infrastructure funding?
- How can infrastructure development and logistics participate in e-economy growth?
- Koffi Klousseh, Managing Director, Head, Project Development, Africa50 (Guest Speaker)
- Tewolde GebreMariam, CEO, Ethiopian Airlines (Guest Speaker)
- Portia Derby, CEO, Transnet (Panel speaker)
- Demitta Gyang, Demitta Gyan, Senior Advisor Customs, AfCFTA (Panel speaker)
- Obi Ozor, CEO, Kobo30 (Panel speaker)
- Adedoyin Amosun, Associate Director, PwC Nigeria (Expert)
- Didi Akinyelure, BBC journalist (Moderator)
Categories: Events, Press Release