Investment Associate, Project Finance
The Investment Associate role is to support the Managing Director and the Directors in providing management and technical support to ensure the effective execution and management of Africa50 Project Finance investment and non-investment activities.
- Work across infrastructure and infra-adjacent sectors
- Develop a strong pipeline of investment opportunities by anticipating market trends and employing sector/country knowledge
- Execute and close Africa50’s equity investments, with a strong focus on achieving high IRRs and development impact
- Have a good understanding and ability to structure investments across the financing spectrum with deep knowledge of equity investing
- Exposure and comfort with project and corporate finance debt from the point of view of an equity investor
- Participate in negotiations for investment documents (SHA, SPA, debt documents and other agreements)
- Produce investment materials based on a thorough understanding of several infrastructure sectors, including power, transport, midstream gas, ICT, healthcare, education and fintech
- Develop an investment thesis, understand risks and produce investment materials to propose an investment to an Investment Committee
- Supervise, development and review complex financial models
- Participate in due diligence process and commercial, strategic, operational, financial and legal due diligence
- Assess ESG and impact aspects of an investment
- Work with portfolio companies to create value for shareholders
- Focused and rigorous 4+ years investment banking analyst experience at top I-Bank, Private Equity firm, DFI or similar global finance institution
- Demonstrated academic excellence. Undergraduate degree from an Ivy League or similar top academic institutions
- MBA from similar top school is a plus. Also open to MSc Finance
- Strong relationships in Africa - ether by origin or a demonstrated long-term interest or commitment. Existing relationships in Africa are a plus
- Positive attitude
- Indefatigable work ethic – this role will regularly require late nights/weekends/travel
- High sense of urgency
- Clarity of thought and action
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Interest in Africa50’s mission, strategy and values
- Strong connection to Africa and intent to have an Africa-focused career
- Significant relevant work experience: At least 4 years as equity investor or similar experience
- Strong financial modelling skills (growth equity / private equity experience preferred)
- Knowledge of Africa50 investment sector trends (power, ICT, midstream gas, transportation, healthcare, education and fintech) and experience in emerging markets especially Africa is a plus
- Superb organizational and deal management capabilities. Ability to multitask is critical
- Ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of portfolio companies
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with sponsors, partners and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds. Living experience in emerging countries is a plus
- Culturally sensitive and able to relate to people of diverse backgrounds
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development.
- Deep understanding of how investments are executed and structured
- Sound knowledge of legal, financial, tax and regulatory matters
- Fluent in English (French is a plus)
The role will be based in Casablanca, Morocco with flexible remote working arrangements.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, click here to Apply Now.
We kindly request that only people meeting all the profile's criteria highlighted above apply to this position. We will contact the shortlisted candidates within four weeks maximum.